New for 2018 – A Safe Space Training
Mandatory for everyone.
New for 2018 – A SAFE SPACE – mandatory training for everyone!
2018 sees the introduction to ‘A Safe Space Training’, which has 4 levels and provides training for all roles. Take a look at the chart and see which level you require and at the training descriptors as to how to access the appropriate training and get it recorded. These levels of training are mandatory by 1 January 2020.
LEVEL1 – An introduction
All adult volunteers (including, but not limited to):
• Trustee, treasurer, and Trefoil guild (volunteers who don’t usually have contact with girls but who may attend events occasionally)
• Occasional helper, occasional residential helper, parent helper and home contact
LEVELS 1 (as above) and 2* Creating a safe space
• Unit helper
• Assistant leader, leader in training (with or completing modules 1-3 of the leadership qualification)
• Young leader (those 14 years and over completing the young leader’s qualification)
LEVELS 1 and 2 (as above), and 3 – Recognising, telling and taking action
Anyone who leads a team of adults or is one of the following:
• Leader (those completing and those who have completed and are using Module four of the leadership qualification to fulfil the role of leader)
• Leader fulfilling the role of licence holder on a residential (including those working towards the Girlguiding going away with qualification)
LEVELS 1, 2 and 3 (as above), and 4 – Managing concerns, allegations and disclosures – guidance for commissioners
• All commissioners (chief, county, division and district, including deputy, assistant commissioners and those sharing a role)
• Trainer (wishing to deliver up to Level 4, A Safe Space)
• Safeguarding lead and A Safe Space adviser (at any level)
Level 1 – An Introduction*
This can be achieved either through attending a face-to-face session (1-1½hrs) or by completing Module 1 of the e-learning. To ensure that your training is registered on GO you will need a Girlguiding reference number. Trefoil Guild members who volunteer occasionally can ask the local Commissioner to register as an occasional helper – this could be at Unit, District or Division level. Local Commissioners should be registering these volunteers.
Once you have completed the online training you can print off the certificate or save it to your device. To ensure your course is registered on GO, you must complete the survey.
Level 2 – Creating a Safe Space*
This training can be completed in one of two ways:
1. Attending a face to face training (2-2½ hrs); or
2. Completing the module 2 e-learning and worksheet and having a follow up conversation with a Trainer
Again, if completing the online training, print or save the certificate and complete the survey at the end of the training giving your membership number
Level 3 – Recognising, telling and taking action
Level 3 consists of completing the module 3 e-learning and then attending a face to face session (3-3½ hrs). Again, when completing the online training, print or save the certificate and complete the survey at the end of the training giving your membership number
Volunteers with professional knowledge of safeguarding may not have to complete Level 3 – please contact the Adult Support Co-ordinator for further information. This will require clearance by Girlguiding NW England.
Level 4 – Managing Concerns Allegations and Disclosures – guidance for Commissioners
More information early-2018
For all Leaders in Training – please remember to take your red LQ books to trainings for signature
* The previous A Safe Space Course is equivalent to Levels 1 and 2 of the revised Safe Space
For further information, please go to https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/making-guiding-happen/learning-and-development/a-safe-space-training/
For details of Girlguiding Lancashire West trainings, please click here.
Comments or questions are welcome.